SBP-1 Sub Bottom Profiler Features
- Boat Towed or Pole Mounted
- 10kHz Frequency (good range and resolution)
- Displays Sonar Images on Laptop Computer
- Save Files (XTF format) on any Storage Device
- Easy to operate
- 500′ Depth Capability
- Affordable search system
A Sub Bottom Profiler Sonar is a very effective tool to identify and characterize layers of sediment or rock under the seafloor. The Sub Bottom Profiler is similar to that of a simple echo sounder. A transducer releases a sound pulse vertically downwards towards the seafloor, and a receiver records the return of the pulse once it has been reflected off the seafloor. Unlike a simple echo sounder, parts of the sound pulse will penetrate the seafloor and reflect the different sub-bottom layers or strata layers. This will show any density disturbance, which will indicate to the user that there is something foreign beneath the surface.
Fishers’ SBP-1 sonar has an advantage over most other competitions. This unit is either pole mountable for shallow water searches or boat tow-able for search in deeper areas allowing superior versatility for the end-user. The SBP-1 system includes the sonar towfish constructed of corrosion-proof, high impact PVC, 150’ of cable (additional lengths are available up to 1,000 feet), the topside sonar processor box and a laptop computer pre-loaded with the JW Fishers SONAR VIEW for Sub Bottom Profiler software. The 36-inch-long by 24-inch-wide towfish provides a stable platform for the sonar transducer allowing the best possible images to be obtained. The SBP-1 is capable of penetrating up to 130 feet into the seabed. The sonar beam reflects off any solid objects below the seafloor and sent topside for display and storage on the computer. You then see an image of a target of a different density than the surrounding substrate.
Sub Bottom Profilers (SBP) will identify the thickness of different strata layers below the ocean floor. Most importantly, for our application, it will also show any density disturbance within a strata layer. It’s the density disturbance we are after; it indicates something foreign within the strata layer. The SBP-1 has the advantage of being pole mountable for shallow water projects or boat towable (up to 1,000 feet of cable available). The fish is towed 5 to 10 feet off the bottom to keep the sonar beam narrow. The Sub Bottom Profiler system comes complete with Sub Bottom tow fish, 150 feet of cable, topside Sonar Processor Box, a GPS, and a laptop computer with Fishers Sonar View software.
An optional Panasonic Toughbook® is available for small, open boat operations (see image on the side). The 10.1″ XGA sunlight-viewable LED 1024 x 768 resistive touchscreen computer is MILSTD-810G certified (6′ drop, shock, vibration, rain, dust, sand, altitude, freeze/thaw, high/low temperature, temperature shock, humidity, explosive atmosphere).
- Standard laptop – Windows® 10, 15.6” widescreen, 320GHD, R/W burner, 4GB RAM
- File format – XTF (industry standard)
- Frequency – 10 kHz
- Bottom sediment resolution – 2.4 inches
- Beam width – 30 degrees
- Pulse length – variable
- Transducer type – cone
- Max bottom penetration – 100+ feet
- Max tow depth – 500 feet (150m)
- Power output – 300 watts
- Recommended tow speed 1-5mph
- Sonar processor – 9”W x 4”H x 7.5”D – 3 lbs.
- Sonar processor input power – 12 VDC, 120/220 VAC at 8w
- Splash- proof PC (optional) – 14”L x 11”W x 6”D – 7 lbs.
- Cable – .375”D x 150-500’ – 25-85 lbs.
- Fish – 36”L x 24”W x 9”H
– tow configuration (with ballast) – 40 lbs.
– pole configuration – 30 lbs.
- Shipping box (150’ cable) – 40”L x 28”W x 14”H – 127 lbs.
- sonar towfish constructed of corrosion proof, high impact PVC
- 150’ of cable (additional lengths are available up to 1,000 feet)
- the topside sonar processor box and laptop computer pre-loaded with the JW Fishers SONAR VIEW for Sub Bottom Profiler software.
JW Fisher Sub Bottom Profiler
Includes laptop PC, Sonar View software, cable connector, 500 foot (~150m) depth rated fish and 150 feet (~45m) of cable
Extra cable: ADDITIONAL cable up to 1,000 feet (~300m)
Sonar Coverage Map – SBP: Software that displays boat track and area scanned.
DDW-1 Deep Dive Wing: Depressor wing allows for deeper towing with less cable
CMS-1: Cable management system for up to 500 feet (~150m) of cable
CMS-2: Cable management system for up to 1,000 feet (~300m) of cable