JW Fisher SSS Side Scan Sonar Features
- Low Cost
- 500 ft. Depth Capability
- Up to 2,000ft. (~600m) Range on each side of Towfish
- Dual Frequency or Single Frequency Systems
- Displays Sonar Images on Laptop Computer
- Easy to Operate System
- Store Files (XTF Format) on CD, DVD, or Hard Drive
A side scan sonar is one of the most sought and effective tools for underwater searches. The reason; it can cover large areas quickly and “see” what’s on the bottom regardless of water visibility. A JW Fisher side scan sonar finds things by sending out a sonar beam that sweeps over the bottom, reflects off any object laying on the bottom, and returns to the towfish. The received signal is sent through the tow cable to a topside display. The displayed image is a highly detailed two-dimensional picture of the ocean, lake, river bottom and any objects lying there.
The sonar beam is transmitted and received by transducers mounted on each side of the towfish. How the transducer is constructed determines the frequency of the sonar beam. Side scans with low-frequency transducers have excellent long-range capability but low resolution at shorter ranges. High-frequency systems have higher resolution but very short range. A dual-frequency side scan has high and low-frequency transducers in the same fish to give both systems’ best; long-range and highly detailed images at the shorter ranges.
JW Fisher Advantage
JW Fisher’s sonars represent a major price/performance breakthrough in low-cost side scan systems. Fishers offer three different frequency side scan systems; the SSS-100K, the SSS-600K, the SSS-1200K and a dual-frequency system consisting of any of the above frequencies.
- The SSS-1200K has a very high resolution from 5m to 25m.
- The SSS-600K has a high resolution from 10m to 75m.
- The SSS-100K has a good resolution from 25m to 600m.
The SSS-1200K system provides maximum resolution (detail). It can see anything the 600K and 100K can but in sharper detail. The SSS-600K/1200K is an effective dual-frequency system. The 600K locates the target, and the 1200K makes a close in pass for a high-resolution image.
- Standard Laptop – Win10, 15.6” widescreen, 320GHD, R/W DVD burner, 4GB RAM.
- Splash-proof input power – 12 VDC, 120/220 vac at 60w
- File format – XTF (industry standard).
- Frequency – 100 Khz / 600Khz / 1200 Khz.
- Resolution (longtrack & crosstrack) – 25cm x 4cm x 2cm
- Beamwidth – horizontal x vertical – 1.5 degree by 40 degree
- Transducer tilt angle – 20 degree downward
- Pulse length – 0.1ms.
- Power Output – 1,000 watt per channel.
- 100 KHz – 600m (2,000 feet per channel / 4,000 feet swath)
- 600 KHz – 75m (250 feet per channel / 500 feet swath).
- 1200KHz – 25m (80 feet per channel / 160 feet swath).
- Max depth – 500 feet (150 m).
- Recommended tow speed (for best image) 1-3 kt.
JW Fisher Side Scan Sonar Models:
SSS-600kHz Single Frequency Side Scan Sonar:
Sonar system that includes a Dell laptop PC, SONAR VIEW software, 500 foot (~150m) depth rated fish and 150 feet (~45m) of cable
SSS-600kHz/1200kHz Dual Frequency Side Scan Sonar:
Sonar system that includes a Dell laptop PC, SONAR VIEW software, 500 foot (~150m) depth rated fish and 150 feet (~45m) of cable.
SSS-450kHz/900kHz CHIRP Dual Frequency Side Scan Sonar:
***NEW*** CHIRP sonar system that includes a semi-rugged S410 GETAC laptop PC, Sonar View software, waterproof Pelican® transport case, 500 foot (~150m) depth rated fish, cable connector and 150 feet (~45m) of cable.
Extra Cable: ADDITIONAL cable up to 2,000 feet (~600m)
Cable Connector: Easily allows cable to be disconnected from tow fish (600kHz ONLY)
Adjustable Transducers: Allows scanning of vertical structures (600kHz ONLY)
Sonar Coverage Map-SSS: Software that displays boat track and area scanned
Tablet: 10.8” Windows® based tablet mounted into control box
GETAC® Laptop: S410 (or equivalent) semi-rugged 14” laptop, MIL-STD 810H certified
DDW-1 Deep Dive Wing: Depressor wing allow for deeper towing with less cable.
CMS-1: Cable management system for up to 250 feet (~75m) of ROV cable
CMS-2: Cable management system for up to 1000 feet (~300m) of ROV cable