The JW Fisher RMD-1 is a high-performance Pulse Induction metal detector that can be attached to almost any ROV or towed underwater system. Pulse induction technology allows the RMD-1 to detect both ferrous and non-ferrous metal objects under the ocean floor while ignoring mineralization in the saltwater and seabed. The ROV metal detector locates and tracks underwater pipelines, finds missing tools and dredge parts, locates weapons and unexploded ordnance, and finds lost treasure.
The system employs two coils moulded into rugged ABS shells and firmly attached to the underwater vehicle with a corrosive-proof tubular PVC frame. The frame provides a sturdy mount and keeps the coils far enough away from the ROV not affected by the metal parts. The oval coils produce a detection envelope that extends more than 5 feet into the bottom. The sleek, low-profile coil design minimizes drag and weight on the ROV.
When the coil senses metal, it sends a signal to the RMD-1 “downstairs” electronics unit attached to the underwater vehicle. This downstairs electronics unit can produce RS232 output, 0-5 VDC output, or a proprietary signal used by the JWF topside control/readout unit. The output from the downstairs electronics unit can be transmitted through the ROV’s umbilical or a separate cable.
The standard RMD-1 has a control box that displays the readout with both meter and audio alarm—the closer the proximity of the metal target, the stronger the reading. The unit can use the underwater vehicle’s umbilical cable to supply voltage to the downstairs electronics unit and receive the downstairs unit’s output signal. The RMD-1 can be powered from 120 VAC (standard) or 220 VAC, or 9-36 VDC.
The RMD-1 is easy to operate and readily attaches to most any underwater vehicle. We can supply special coil sizes.
RMD-1 Sensitivity - in water or air
|Piece of eight||10 inches|
|4" diameter pipe||34 inches|
|One gallon can||36 inches|
|2' x 4' sheet metal||50 inches|
|Maximum range||62 inches|
• Max Detection area (standard coil) – 62” deep, 52” wide
• Input voltage – 9-36 vdc “downstairs” , 120 vac topside box
• Power consumption – 8 watts
• Output signals – meter, audio, analog, RS232 with GPS (4,800 or 9,600 baud)
• Coil set – 10” x 16” x 5”H / 38 oz. (air) w/out mount 48 oz. (air) with mount or 28 oz.(water)
• U/W housing & electronics – 9 1/2”L x 2 1/2”D / 1.4 lbs. (air) 4 oz. positive (water)
• Electronics alone – 1 7/8” x 7” x 1 1/2”H – 5 oz.
• Surface control box – 14”L x 10”W x 6”H / 7.6 lbs.
• Cable – 1/4”D x 150’-1,000’ / 4-25 lbs.
• Shipping box – 27”L x 23”D x 12”H – 25 lbs.
• 9 to 18 vdc input power for topside box.
• 220 vac to 120 vac transformer (for powering control box from 220 VAC).
• Analog output (0-5 vdc) for topside box or “downstairs” elec-tronics unit.
• RS232 Output at “downstairs” electronics unit and RS232 input to topside control box (used if info is multiplexed in cable).
• RS232 Output at topside box with boat’s GPS.
• RS232 is 4800 baud, 9600 baud is available.
• Coil set rated for “full ocean depth”.
JW Fisher RMD-1 Remote Metal Detector
Mounts on ROV or a towed body/sled that detects all metals.